Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Secret Lab...cue evil laugh

What do you do when you just can't find the recipe you want? You EXPERIMENT.  

Ooh, scary word "experiment".  It evokes memories of my 5 year old days when I really wanted to see what would happen if I put mayonnaise and grapes into the cookie dough.  But now, I am far more wise and experienced and know what I'm doing...right?

Well, I had my doubts but did have a fairly sturdy foundation to build off of.  I took elements of 4 different recipes to form my own Vegan Baked Ziti with Peppers.
And, if I do say so my self it was delicious. So delicious, that I forgot to take a picture...boo me, I know.  But I do remember the recipe:

8 oz Ziti or any tubular pasta
2 cups chopped onions
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup of red wine
2 cups veggie/soy cheese
half a jar of tomato pasta sauce

Pre-heat oven to 400
Cook the pasta according to box directions - until al dente
Heat the oil in a skillet at medium heat.
Add the onions and peppers and saute until onions are see through add wine and let simmer for 3 minutes
Mix together, in large bowl, pasta, onions and pepper mixture, soy cheese and tomato sauce
Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 baking pan
Bake for 30 minutes.

Easy!  And surprisingly tasty!  Hubby did not miss the real cheese!  I served it with some of the left over Butternut Squash Soup from the night before. 



No comments:

Post a Comment