Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Preponderance in Purpose for the Plastic Baggie...

Tonight was left-over night and so, instead of cooking I will write about how consistently amazed I am by the frequency with which I turn to the simply functional Ziploc bag in the kitchen. Below is a list of all its many different, glorious, functions.  Duct tape be warned its catching up.


1. Storage, of course.  


This one is pretty self explanatory.  I can store left overs in the freezer variety, I can pack lunch in the sandwich variety.  If I only used half a tomato or avocado it goes...zip, right in the baggie and right in the crisper drawer.  


2. As a Pastry Bag


Any time I need to divvy up a liquid, say into cupcake pans or really anything for that matter I'll fold down the top of the bag, spoon the goo/frosting/batter/etc. into the bag, unfold the top (now there are no drippings all over it), get out the air, seal the bag and its almost ready to go.  Last step is snip (with scissors) the tip off one of the bottom corners of the bag (as big or small as you need the tip to be) and go for it!  


3. As an Un-Ingredient Sticker


There's no really good name for this one.  If I need to measure out peanut butter or honey or something really sticky in a measuring cup i'll put the baggie in the cup, put the ingredient in, then when I'm ready to add it to the mixture, presto! I just turn the baggie inside out and out comes the peanut butter!  


4. Marinade Bag


When I want to marinade any fish or meat (or anything really) I will mix the marinade ingredients in the bag, generally by closing the top and shaking them together.  Then I'll put the meat in the bag, seal it, shake it up a few times and just put it in the fridge to marinate.  


There are many more and I could go on...and perhaps I'll add more in the future!  Till then, happy bagging and remember, when you're done, RECYCLE IT!



No comments:

Post a Comment