Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Just Another Manic Monday"...

Ugh...Mondays.  At least we all have our escapes from the rough and tumble of day to day.  I often find mine in the kitchen.  This Monday was no exception.


The weather in our fair city finally cooled off so that it actually felt like fall and soup was no longer an anathema.  So I got to use the beautiful butternut squash I bought last week!  


Monday's Menu:


Butternut Squash Soup: From Epicurious.com http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-Soup-with-Cider-Cream-15657
Apricot Chicken: From Cooking Light's Fast Food Fresh http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Light-Fresh-Food-Fast/dp/0848732642
Roasted Beets: No recipe really, just instructions from Martha Stewart's Cooking School (Book) http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewarts-Cooking-School-Lessons/dp/0307396444/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289357970&sr=1-2
Chocolate Bread: From my Cuisineart Convection Breadmaker's instruction/cookbook


The soup was a great success...very yummy and seasonal.  I didn't follow the recipe exactly though. I never added the Cider cream (the whole lactard thing) and I had to improvise with the cider itself.  I had forgotten to pick some up but had a can of frozen apple juice in the freezer...I made the juice then added it to the soup. 






The chicken is an easy recipe from my Cooking Light book.  According to my mother in law "men LOVE sauces" so this was a good one for my MAN.  And the apricot was a good paring for the butternut squash soup.






The beets were blah.  Out of season so fairly un-flavorful.  Good beets can be served without anything on them and still taste great. These needed loads of salt and a little margarine.




The chocolate bread was an experiment from the night before.  I was just playing with my new bread machine and expected something babka-esque but instead got bread with a hint of chocolate essence.  It was better the 2nd day, and oddly good with the soup.


All in a good winter meal.  Will pass on the chocolate bread and the out of season beets in the future though.  



No comments:

Post a Comment