Thursday, August 25, 2011

iPad in the Kitchen (App recommendations)

The iPad has opened up windows and doors for me.  Not only can it entertain for hours but it also gives me easy access to all the blogs I follow (now probably over 250) and better yet, its cooking apps make it an unrivaled tool in the kitchen.  While I won't post a list of all the different cooking blogs I follow right here and now (though at a later date I will post some of my favorites), I do want to post the different cooking Apps I have.  


Epicurious: (Free)
It allows you access to their entire recipe data base.  You can star recipes as your favorite and if you pay $1.99 you can sync all your devices' Epicurious accounts.  


Cooking Light: ($3.99)
While you don't have access to all their great recipes, their app is more of a menu creator.  You pick your main course, then find recipes to pair it with.  They have great photos of every dish and best of all, nutrition information.


Food Network, In the Kitchen:  ($1.99)
I love this app.  I think its my favorite.  Not only does it give you access to all the Food Network recipes but it also allows you to watch Food Network videos.  Finally, it interface is really user friendly.  


Whole Foods: (Free)
A great app if you have dietary restrictions or you're looking for very healthy fare.  You can select Dairy Free or Vegan or many other options and it will select recipes with those guidelines.  Have you ever had any pre-made food from their stores? These are those recipes and some are quite good.  The app is also helpful if you need to find a store near you or look up their hours, etc.  


All Recipes: (Free)
They've got a ton of recipes, reviews etc.  This is sort of my fall back app/website, but if you can't find it anywhere else, you're almost certain to find it here. 


Substitutions($1.99)
This isn't a recipe app, but its a great cooking tool.  If you're in the middle of a cooking project and realize you're missing an ingredient, this app comes to the rescue.  


Finally there's Yummrs:  ($3.99)
Yummrs grabs recipes from the most popular food blogs on the internet and consolidates them into one easily accessible place.  You can also save the recipes into folders/categories so that you can reference them later.  While it doesn't have every blog I know and love, I do like taking a gander at this app everyday to see what it pulls up.  Not sure if its worth the price tag though.


As always, let me know if you have any questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment