Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hard to Feed

My little brother came over for Shabbos dinner.  I can't tell you how excited I am to cook for him AND get to hang out with him before he goes off to college next year (I'll have to visit him at University of Arizona!)    Anyway, like his big sister (moi)  he's allergic to a lot of things, namely, nuts, fish, balsamic (dijon and vinegar), watermelon and banana (I'm writing this here so I know how to feed him in the future.   His allergies mixed with my lactose-intolerant vegetarianism makes for quite the challenge.  The one thing he does eat is meat. Like the hubby he loves his red meat.  So putting my qualms aside I decided to make Sweet and Sour Brisket as my main course.  The recipe doesn't have a thing the bro can't eat and its a new one to boot!  The Brisket recipe is from "Art of the Slow Cooker" by Andrew Schloss.  The MIL made another successful recipe from the book so I thought I'd try my hand at it.  


The brisket was apparently super yummy (I'm sure it will be even better today after soaking up all the juices).  I cooked it on high for 3 hours then on low for another 6 hours.  


(Photo from "Art of Slow Cooker")


Meanwhile, the MIL made the veggie side dishes, simply steamed Asparagus and Broccoli...keeping it real and keeping it healthy.


I also made a side of egg noodles with a little bit of margarine to soak up the brisket gravy (and challah of course). 


Finally, I love love love Marzipan and the MIL makes this killer little almond paste pound cake that I adore, the recipe is from the side of the Almond Paste box and she adds some chocolate chips to it and drizzles chocolate frosting on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment