Thursday, February 24, 2011

Friday Night Dinner

This Friday was a great recipe success.  I was very impressed with both and, in fact, didn't really have to change them one bit!


The recipes were from Kosher by Design by Susie Fishbein which has been an incredibly reliable and not because its Kosher but because the food is just plain good.  The two recipes I made from the book were:
Balsamic Chicken and Roasted Garlic Green Beans with Mango.  (I also made Rice Pilaf, not from the book).  


Balsamic Chicken:  
Exceptionally good, but in part thanks to the brand of Balsamic Vinegar I use.  I buy Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar from the Palisades Farmers' Market but you can buy it online here.  Its expensive but its totally worth it.  Its thick and syrupy and adds quality to anything you use it with, whether it be salad dressing, chicken or just as a drizzle. (I promise, they're not paying me to write this).  The recipe called for two chickens cut up.  I cut the recipe in half and only used thighs and wings because I know what my family likes, and there were only 4 of us.  




Roasted Garlic Green Beans with Mango:
Just as good as the Asparagus recipe from the same book that has made a repeat appearance at our dinner table.  Merely one change, I cut the recipe in half.  Delicious.  




The Rice Pilaf:
I cheated and made the rice pilaf from a box (no one knew, and maybe I didn't really tell anyone either).  But it was quite good.  I recommend the Near East Original Rice Pilaf.  I used two boxes for four people and had plenty of left overs.  



(Last but not least)
Challah:  
My challahs have improved each week.  They are now large and fluffy.  The MIL taught me that if you knock on the challah (or most breads) fresh out of the oven and they sound hollow they're ready!  Oh and was this challah ready, so ready in fact it took a great deal of restraint not to rip into that oh so delicious smelling loaf.  


No comments:

Post a Comment