Thursday, December 9, 2010

Out of Latkes and Latke'd out!

Stash the dreidels, eat the gelt and put away the menorahs. Last night was the 8th and final night of Hanukkah. Bittersweet.  Hanukkah's a night on which we celebrate the miracles of the past, present and future.  While we say "Shalom" (Hebrew for hello, goodbye and peace) to Hanukkah we say hello to new possibilities, new discoveries and yes, NEW RECIPES! 




What's old to some is, often, new again to others.  I find my favorite new recipes are hand-me-downs from fellow cooks.  Sometimes the best recipes are not only older but elegant in their simplicity (cost and cooking ease).  Martha makes it look easy, but those of us with day jobs and limited funds need that easy go to recipe.  Sometimes we also need a break from MEAT.  Too much of something great isn't a good thing (ech chem...husband).


So after the first few nights of brisket and latke leftovers I decided last night to break from tradition and go with Tuna Salad, Carrot Ginger Soup, and Focaccia. 


Okay, so, I got a little busy yesterday and didn't realize how long Focaccia (like most bread) takes (allowing for rising times etc.) So, while I finished making the focaccia it will have to be eaten tonight instead.


BUT! The soup and Tuna salad were delicious and I made some impromptu garlic bread to go with.  


Tuna Salad:  Most tuna salads are simply mayo, celery and relish mixed together, which is great and easy.  But my MIL really takes tuna salad to the next level, and does so, with as much ease as the standard TS.  Her recipe is as follows:


2 cans of tuna
3-4 tablespoons of Mayo (light or regular, add more to make it moist enough)
Dash  or two of Worchestershire sace
Splash of Apple Cider vinegar
1 stalk of celery finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion finely chopped


Mix it all together and you've got a damn tasty,tuna salad with more flavor layers and texture.  






Carrot Ginger Soup: This is my favorite soup and I break it out any time I need a healthy dose of vegetables and comfort The soup recipe also came from my MIL's collection (she's a great cooking mentor).  The recipe itself comes from Sheila Lukins  and was in a newspaper or magazine (not sure, its a photocopy).
The recipe is as follows:


1.5 lbs of Carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 lb of parsnips, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 large onion, sliced
3 inch peice of ginger, peeled and chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine, if you're me)
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (packed)
8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
Salt, to taste
Pinch of Cayenne (I tend to leave this out)
1/4 cup creme fraiche for garnish (I don't use this)


1.Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine Carrots, parsnips, onion and ginger in a roasting pan. Dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
3. Pour 2 cups of broth into the pan, cover well with foil and bake until vegetables are very tender, about 2 hours.
4. Transfer the vegetables and broth to a large pot and add remaining 6 cups of broth, salt and cayenne.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 10 minutes. 
5. Puree the soup in batches.  Return the soup to the pot, adjust seasonings and serve hot.






For the Garlic bread I simply took a couple of slices of sourdough bread and, brushed with olive oil and put some minced garlic on it.  Baked it for 7 minutes.  YUM!





Focaccia:  I tried it last night after it cooked and it was really good.  Too bad the hubby can't try it fresh tonight (he was already asleep when I finished it) but I'm sure it will still be tasty with the other leftovers.  I got the herbed focaccia recipe from my breadmaker's recipe book and edited a few things.  I made the dough in the breadmaker (it called for fresh herbs which I didn't had and used the dry ones, still very tasty).  Also, while the dough was being made I sauteed 2 sliced onions in olive oil and carmelized them.  After spreading the dough on the pan and letting it rise, I added some more herbs and the onions then baked it.  A pretty successful experiment I'd say.  Gotta get me some other focaccia recipes though.   





No comments:

Post a Comment